- wisdom is a gift from God (James 1:5)
- wisdom is a task, something we do, not simply a theoretical thing (James 3:13)
- the world has it’s own take on wisdom (James 3:15-16)
We can also say that wisdom is…
- rooted in understanding the grand purpose of God in Jesus Christ – an extremely important point (Eph 1:17-19)
- closely associated with understanding God's creation (Prov 3:19)
- to be taught and learned (Prov 1:7-8)
- only truly possible through a relationship with God (Prov 1:7)
All of these things feed into the definition I was taught at my alma mater:
Wisdom is living well in God's good, but fallen, world.
Wisdom is a neglected theme in the church. This may be because of its close ties to creation theology, itself a neglected area. There’s a lot more to say about wisdom and I hope to say more on this blog in time.