For those in the congregation, this post is a brief resumé of a sermon entitled The Task of the Disciple.
The Attitude of a Disciple
- If you are a Christian, you are a disciple of Christ.
- Jesus calls for a radical reconfiguration of our lives around a new priority. Luke 14: 26-27.
- Discipleship requires a single-minded commitment. It is a journey, it has a beginning, an end. Luke 9:62.
The Goal of Discipleship
- Why does Jesus call us to follow? Why does God want us to obey?
- Is God a mean task-master, who needs to be kept happy with slavish obedience? No.
- The goal of discipleship is freedom. The truth sets us free. John 8:31-32.
- We cannot gain this freedom from within ourselves, it must be bestowed upon us from outside. John 1:12.
The Task of the Disciple – Add to Your Faith
- Many NT texts speak about the task. For Peter, it is summed up in 4 words: Add…To…Your…Faith. 2 Peter 1: 3.
- Peter gives a list of virtues that should increasingly be ours. This is our task.
- The task is a journey. The journey is long. We have to walk. There are no short-cuts. It is a journey of freedom and to freedom.
- This list of virtues is book-ended by references to our knowledge of Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1: 3, 8.
- As in John 8:31, where Jesus calls us to persevere in His word, we cannot be successful in our task without teaching & learning.
The Task of the Disciple – Is Driven by Teaching & Learning
- The writer to the Hebrews is convinced of the need of Christians to become mature in their understanding. Hebrews 5:11-6:3.
- Teaching and learning is fundamental to discipleship.
The Task of the Disciple – Leads to an Effective Church
- The Apostle Paul sees that God has given prophets, apostles, ministers to the church to teach, so that every member can be equipped for the task of the Church. Ephesians 4: 11-13.
- A church where each person is serious about the Task of Discipleship is an effective Church.
The Task of the Disciple – The Challenge
- Jesus calls us to reassess our priorities.
- All of our life-aspirations, plans and ambitions exist under one over-riding heading: I am a Disciple of Jesus.
- We must learn by making the most of opportunities to be taught.
- We must together be a community of disciples, equipped and being equipped for works of service to the glory of God.